Khmer Red Curry (ការីក្រហមខ្មែរ)
- Chicken (សាច់មាន់) – 250g
- Lemongrass (ស្លឹកគ្រៃ) – 3 sticks
- Potato (ដំឡូងបារាំង) – 1 (big)
- Long beans (សណ្តែក) – 200g
- Aubergine (ផ្លែត្រប់) – 1
- Dried Red Chilli (ម្ទេសក្រហមស្ងួត) – 100g
- Onion (ខ្ទឹមបារាំង) – 1
- Garlic (ខ្ទឹមស) x 3 cloves
- Galangal (រំដេង) – 50g
- Turmeric (រមៀត) – 50g
- Coconut Milk (ដូងក្រែម) x 400g
- Salt (អំបិល) – pinch
- Sugar (ស្ករ) – 2 tsp
- Stock (ម្សៅសាច់មាន) – 1 tsp
Up this week is something I cook all the time, its an easy winner and tastes amazing. Most of SE Asia have their own take on this Red Curry dish but for me the Khmer style approach balances the flavours the best. Again this recipe uses a Khmer ‘kreung’ paste for a Cambodian style taste. Serve with rice or with a warm baguette! Note that you may find you are familiar with a different recipe but this mine, learnt from my mum.
- Make kreung paste by grinding ingredients in pestle and mortar or blender.
- Fry kreung with meat until brown.
- Add all vegetables (chopped)
- Cook for 3 minutes, add water and let simmer for around 10 mins until sauce has reduced
- When sauce has reduced, add coconut cream
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add seasoning to taste
- Add chopped kaffir lime leaves to garnish